11/20/08

virtuosity

is not always innate. there is indeed goodness that we are born with. it may be in our nature to shower love and affection on those around us. it may be in our nature to empathize, to listen with a caring ear, to generously give to the poor and the needy. are there characteristics not in our nature that may be acquired? i used to wonder if that was indeed possible. can we become someone we aren't born as? as an earlier post quotes - if we truly believe and act with diligence, the heavens will not stand in the way. no, i do not have proof, but i do believe. it is important - to believe. something gandhi wrote also speaks to this train of thought, and i quote -
A variety of incidents in my life have conspired to bring me in close contact with people of many creeds and many communities, and my experience with all of them warrants the statement that I have known no distinction between relatives and strangers, countrymen and foreigners, white and coloured, Hindus and Indians of other faiths, whether Musalmans, Parsis, Christians or Jews. I may say that my heart has been incapable of making any such distinctions. I cannot claim this as a special virtue, as it is in my very nature, rather than a result of any effort on my part, whereas in the case of ahimsa (ahimsa), brahmacharya (celibacy), aparigraha (non-possession) and other cardinal virtues, I am fully conscious of a continuous striving for their cultivation. (pp. 243)
(nb: yes, i know virtuosity is not the apt word to use, but it should be - no?)

No comments: