11/2/08

touching the earth

i read more and more tnh every day. this is the teaching i am moved immensely by today:

"In Buddhism, there is a practice called "Touching the Earth" that can help us realize our wish to generate the energies of love, compassion, joy, and equanimity. During the practice, we touch the Earth deeply six times, surrendering ourselves to the Earth and to our own true nature. We touch the Earth with our forehead, our two legs, and our two hands, so that our mind and body form a perfect whole, allowing us to transcend our small self. We surrender our pride, notions, fears, resentments, and even our hopes, and enter the world of "things as they are." Touching the Earth is an effective yogic practice. We return to our source of wisdom and are no longer separate and apart from our Mother Earth. The practice of love, compassion, joy, and equanimity helps establish our connectedness, which brings about health and happiness.

[...]

There are six Earth-Touchings. [...] Touching the Earth and reciting the six accompanying meditations generates in us deep love and acceptance. [...]

The First Earth-Touching

In gratitude I bow to all generations of ancestors in my blood family. I see my mother and father, whose blood, flesh, and vitality are circulating in my own veins and nourishing every cell in me. Through them, I see my four grandparents. Their expectations, experiences, and wisdom have been transmitted from so many generations of ancestors. I carry in me the life, blood, experience, wisdom, happiness, and sorrow of all generations. The suffering and all the elements that need to be transformed, I am practicing to transform. I open my heart, flesh, and bones to receive the energy of insight, love, and experience transmitted to me by all my ancestors. I see my roots in my father, my mother, my grandfathers, my grandmothers, and all my ancestors. I know I am the continuation of this ancestral lineage. Please support, protect, and transmit to me your energy. I know wherever children and grandchildren are, ancestors are there, also. I know that parents always love and support their children and grandchildren, although they are not always able to express it skillfully because of difficulties they themselves encountered. I see that my ancestors tried to build a way of life based on gratitude, joy, confidence, respect, and loving kindness. As a continuation of my ancestors, I bow deeply and allow their energy to flow through me. I ask my ancestors for their support, protection, and strength."

2 comments:

Amrithaa said...

How beautiful! It's interesting how the sashtanga namaskar is based on a very similar concept...

8&20 said...

very true, which is why i was first moved by it... the more i read, the more i was moved :).

will slowly post the others as well :).