4/13/09

why the equation?

to what end do i attempt to extend the equation to all these practices? it is not merely an intellectual exercise, to be honest, but allows me to more speedily approach my ideals in different situations that present varying challenges. life is, in one sense, about cultivating a prompt response system: i am hit by external stimuli all the time; how i act upon each determines the ground on which i stand.

practising mindfulness in all moments may undoubtedly ensure a suitable response. but sometimes, in a given situation, it is easier to tell myself to practise detachment or acceptance. in a moment of fear/stress, when it is not entirely clear what it means to just 'be mindful', i can aim to resolve the fear instead and know that my ideals are being met. and when i am worried about a harsh word spoken against me, i can choose to step out of my ego and detachedly inspect the harshness. ultimately, all practices lead to each one, but i am still learning. and these equations are my training wheels.

No comments: