4/30/09

poem of the day

april 30, and poetry month comes to an end. i hope you share with me, if only to small degree, the joy of having discovered just a few of the great poets of this world. it's been an eye-opening month for me in several respects, as my spirit traveled far and wide, in space and time, within the lines (and in between) of the poetry we read together.

as i thought about the last day of the month and of a fitting finale, once again, the answer came, not much later, as i meditated (clearly i was not devoid of thought). it is the poem that introduced me to hafiz (as i think of c with immense gratitude) - the same hafiz who connected poetry to my soul (our souls) in obvious, inescapable ways.

goodbye, april. goodbye, poetry month. but hafiz, won't you please stay awhile?
One day the sun admitted,

I am just a shadow.
I wish I could show you
The Infinite Incandescence
That has cast my brilliant image!

I wish I could show you,
When you are lonely or in darkness,

The Astonishing Light
Of your own Being!

- Hafiz

1 comment:

Amrithaa said...

oh! how Hafiz delights! I am sad April has ended, almost... I shall miss the POTD sorely :)