4/14/09

poem of the day

i have to admit, it took a long, long time for me to understand this poem. long indeed, because i first saw it when i was in third grade. when s sent it to me yesterday, i still could not make sense of it. this morning, something coaxed me to give it another shot, and suddenly i understood. these moments of understanding are so precious (once the 'duh' moment has passed). it is as though a closed door has been opened to air out the room, after eons.

i hope you breathe a song into the air today :).
The Arrow and The Song

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend.

- H. W. Longfellow

No comments: