3/19/09

not all is rosy

most of my posts, of late, have been high-spirited. yet there are things that bring me down. i understand gladly that to be able to offer help is a great privilege. that to give is not to be proud of giving, but to act out of love and the joy of service. these lessons have hit home, and practice shall do the rest. i am, however, guilty of attaching myself to the fruit of my labor. i feel pain and sorrow when those that i try to help are not in a position to receive. i want only to lift them out of their situations, but i'm not powerful enough. how do i deal with this?

the correct answer, as i see it, is to exercise detachment. i must do according to my dharma and allow others the right to do according to theirs. i must not be proud or egoistic with a belief that i know what is good, what is right for them, or even that i perceive correctly. and i must understand and be compassionate towards their varied circumstances, for i do not and cannot know what brings them to act this way.

oh, but this is hard. i feel weighed down with their worries, and further weighed down by my incapacity to alleviate their suffering and enhance their strength. ah, but how can i enhance their strength when i will be so weak? i beseech you, lord, to grant me greater wisdom, greater forgiveness. pray, help me find a lighter path. indeed, for us all.

No comments: