2/25/09

ye haunsla kaise jhuke?

this pleasantly evocative song fills the heart with hope and optimism. a chain of emails led a dear friend and me to discuss it this morning, and when i heard it again, i heard it again and again. i share it with you here, and offer a highly inadequate translation:
ye haunsla kaise jhuke
ye aarzoo kaise ruke
manzil mushkil to kya
dhundhla sahil to kya
tanha ye dil to kya

raah pe kaate bikhre agar
uspe to phir bhi chalna hi hai
shaam chhupa le suraj magar
raat ko ik din dhalna hi hai

rut ye tal jayegi
himmat rang layegi
subah phir aayegi

hogi humein to rehmat ada
dhoop kategi saaye tale
apni khuda se hai ye dua
manzil laga le hum ko gale

zurrat sau baar rahe
ooncha iqraar rahe
zinda har pyaar rahe

how may this spirit bow its head?
how may this aspiration falter?
so what if the end is difficult to reach?
or if the shore is hazy from here?
or if this heart is alone?

even if the path is laden with thorns
i cannot but tread on it
and even if the evening is able to hide the sun
one day, the night too must be on its way

this season will soon pass
courage will bear fruit
and morning will be here once again

we will receive merciful grace
and be rescued from the rays of the sun
my only prayer is for
my end to embrace me

may strength last a hundred-fold
may this promise stand high
may every love live on

5 comments:

PeeVee said...

yeh honsla! :p

Bright Butterfly said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to translate this song. It is truly beautiful. So many beautiful lines. I love the notion of treding the path even if it is filled with thorns, of courage bearing fruit. I love the rhetorical questions, especially "so what if the end is difficult to reach?"
"so what if the heart is alone" makes me think of the last line of Lord Merton's prayer, "for you are ever with me and you will never leave me to face my perils alone", which tells us that we are never really alone. Related aside: I was just talking to a friend yesterday about how one of the biggest ah-ha realizations I had while living in Chile was to understand the distinction between being alone and being lonely. One can be surrounded by people and still feel lonely; and one can be physically alone but not feel lonely at all. Something on which to ruminate.

8&20 said...

:P indeed :)

bb: i tried my best to translate in a way that did justice, but compositions always seem more beautiful in their original language, don't they?

this song is really inspiring though, and my eyes well up each time i hear these lines -

"this season will soon pass
courage will bear fruit
and morning will be here once again"

i thank you for sharing your insight on being lonely vs. being alone. definitely something to ruminate over, as i set out for my half hour morning walk now.

8&20 said...

the other lines that struck me only as i read them again this morning are the ones about receiving the grace of the lord for respite from the burning rays of the sun - that although i know that i will be rescued, my only prayer is that i do achieve my goal.

that the goal is not to be rescued, but something more immense. is that not a beautiful and courageous thought?

Amrithaa said...

indeed it is :)