2/26/09

reality hits

today, i was at the musical offering again, drinking my lapsang souchong. again. at the same long table i was at when i last posted about this place. while i sat reading on my laptop, i noticed a guy sitting diagonally opposite me writing in his notebook. sometime later, the waitress came to our table and asked him if he had ordered a sandwich. i looked up, and she asked me as well. i shook my head, but this guy was quiet. seemed unsure. he finally said, "you know what. i don't know." he looked apologetic, and i laughed looking at his apologetic face. laughed, yes, but only affectionately, signing him off as one of those absent-minded, forgetful, geniuses berkeley is abundantly blessed with. and then he said to her, "the thing is i have a problem. i have no short-term memory. i have to write things down." it felt like one of those rude awakenings when you'd rather be dreaming, and i didn't know where to look, what to say. i thought about this incident a long time, and the ever-expanding space that had fallen between my laughter and my state of shock. life really is like a box of chocolates, isn't it?

3 comments:

Nikhil said...

this sounds like memento. you sure he wasn't kidding?

8&20 said...

well, i can't be 100% sure, naturally. but he sounded reluctant to tell the waitress what his problem was, then spoke in muted voice. i heard him only because i was sitting right next to him. if he wasn't telling the truth, he did a really good act.

however, regardless of whether it was the truth or not, the possibility of such an event still exists, right? i was struck most by how we take things totally by granted.

Amrithaa said...

Wow! this reminds me of when I was in Boston on a bus where a kind lady next to me listed out the 'sights' to abolsutely not miss and even described her favorite ones. Only at the end of the ride I realized she was blind.