5/20/09

Zorba the Greek

Am reading Zorba the Greek now, and since I'm still reading it, this won't be a listing of all the quotes I liked in the book. Today, just one will do.
'Confucius says: "Many seek happiness higher than man; others beneath him. But happiness is the same height as man." This is true. So there must be a happiness to suit every man's stature. Such is, my dear pupil and master, my happiness of the day. I anxiously measure it and measure it again, to see what my stature of the moment is. For, you know this very well, man's stature is not always the same.

'How the soul of man is transformed according to the climate, the silence, the solitude, or the company in which it lives!
As I draw parallels between this book and Narcissus..., I realize that the beauty of both, as I see them, is that they bring out the dualities of life so wonderfully well. And truly, without any one of these aspects unrepresented, neither book would be worth a read.

This excerpt, in particular, made my mind rush to thoughts of acceptance; of truly living in the present with what we have. It also made me think of the fluidity of life, how it constantly transforms itself, when we feed it right.

I love this book.

No comments: