5/19/09

On Symmetry

This morning, I read "The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved" by Mario Livio - an interesting book on symmetry from a mathematical perspective, also including considerable historical knowledge on some of the greatest mathematicians this world has known. I'd have loved to read this book before I took Abstract Algebra in undergrad, for it covers the introduction to Group Theory really well, also filling one with awe for Galois's short but productive life.

Although this book too featured famous quotes that were pleasant and enlightening, I shall, instead, leave you with one of its puzzles that I enjoyed:
Imagine that you have six equal-length matchsticks. Can you form four equilateral triangles out of these?
(PS: Have you noticed the slow and steady incorporation of caps into my typing? It's what they call change :).)

No comments: