7/15/09

Travel Update

After my return from Malwa last Saturday morning, I spent the last five days at home, recovering from a stomach infection (still in process) and getting ready to visit Bikaner (Rajasthan). A pity that I always seem to be recovering from illnesses at home; a blessing that mom tends to me while I'm sick - being out in the field would be a lot less fun.

After a complex, organized, and last-minute packing process, I boarded the Awadh-Assam Express from the Old Delhi Railway Station at 4.30 last evening. The station is not a pleasant place to be during the daytime, and one must be careful about where one's vision leads. Mom and I got there rather early, and had a long discussion (that led nowhere, as it is wont to) about why people are so accepting of filth, why they must treat all of land as a trash can, etc. before I boarded.

Although traveling in AC isn't as fun, because it creates an artificial barrier between you and the India outside, it was lovely to behold the rural sights of Haryana and Punjab en route, nonetheless. I found it fascinating that the train was coming all the way from Guwahati, and that it went via Bhatinda (that was featured in Jab We Met not too long ago).

My berth neighbors (for lack of a better term) were rather friendly. I found that they were traveling 40 hours from Siliguri to Bhatinda, on their way to Pathankot, where they'd just been transferred (within the army). I also managed to learn a little about Siliguri, and about how the army works, in the process. They carried a six-year old in tow, who I enjoyed playing 'Statue' with :).

The train ride was fairly uneventful, but for my finally getting done with The Celestine Prophecy which was rather curiously and coincidentally woven around several of my thought processes of late. I don't recommend reading the plot, but the nine insights the book revolves around, were certainly worth the read.

The train got to Lalgarh (near Bikaner) at 5.30am, and the little I've seen of the city since has been quaint indeed. Perhaps I have a natural soft spot for the cities of Rajasthan, so perhaps you should wait for second and third impressions then.

It for now. Be back soon.

No comments: