7/21/09

Aiming to Perfect

Life's beauty comes to us often and in varied forms: in words, images, music, all of nature. Whenever we're willing to listen, life gives - it is up to us to put ourselves forth as receptacles. I've been thinking more and more about what we do with these gifts of life. How do we tend to them suitably so as to preserve them in fullness and pass them on? Like a book that we buy first-hand, read, and sell again. We could be careful and attentive while we read, so as to preserve the pristine condition in which we made the purchase, or we could be careless and leave it dogeared. It is a decision we make, at some layer of consciousness.

As I try to apply this analogy to my life, I realize that I am constantly being touched by life's beauty in these times. As I travel more and more, I find myself repeatedly enraptured by the beauty of the place, the people, the history, the culture... the list has no end. My camera and I are thus made inseparable, for I am continuously inspired. And inspiration is so valuable - so much comes out of it. I am happier, more at peace, and no doubt I transmit some of that peace, if unknowingly, to the outer world as well. But inspiration is energy, and it could be preserved in fullness, packaged, and passed on in convincing chunks, or it could be allowed to dissipate such that it is too diffuse to carry the impact much further.

Perhaps all of this sounds a little 'out there', but it filled me with a feeling of responsibility, an onus to give back (this inspiration) as fully as possible, as close to the form in which I have been recipient of it. This means one thing alone - that I have to give myself to my expressions in entirety. When I write, I must write with the dedication of an activist who puts mind, body and spirit into her cause. When I photograph, I must photograph in full presence, in ways that I may best inspire the person who views this photograph. It isn't easy, but isn't it the only way? The only worthwhile objective to pursue? Do we even have a choice? It is an onus indeed, and not one we can do justice to in the matter of days and weeks, but as a life goal perhaps?

And this is not to say that we attach ourselves to the receipt of our art, in whatever form. It is futile to imagine that we could dictate ways in which our expressions may be received or appreciated, but in that the intent is purity itself, the goal - I believe - is met.

No comments: