7/23/09

A smile with every step

This summer has been thought-provoking, illuminating, rewarding, and all things good and great thus far. Of the many things it has taught me, this is prime - to smile, always, and no matter what. This lesson made itself known rather gradually. At first, the smile would come most instinctively, because everything was new and exciting, and therefore incredibly appealing. Soon, the novelty had worn off. But by then the habit had formed itself, and been assimilated by others as well. I got myself to effect a smile because I couldn't allow this new-found image to suffer :). This may sound forced and unnatural, but in no time, the magic of it made itself known. I realized that in that tiny physical action lay many a liberation. When I smiled, really smiled, the pain of everything would pass. There was no longer irritation when an unruly customer tried to cut the line before me, no longer discomfort at the lack of availability of half-clean toilet facilities, no longer impatience when my train was delayed by three hours, and no longer distress due to unpleasant addresses on the streets of small towns. There is greater peace, an overall sense of serenity, and a nothing-could-go-wrong-ness about life.

Am reminded of a line I read in Eat, Pray, Love many months ago. I attest now to its truth value.
"Why they always look so serious in Yoga? You make serious face like this, you scare away good energy. To meditate, only you must smile. Smile with face, smile with mind, and good energy will come to you and clean away dirty energy. Even smile in your liver."

2 comments:

Adu said...

hmm...blogs should also provide a way to "like" posts :)

noticed that picasaweb started doing it for pictures.

Amrithaa said...

"Even smile in your lover." how wonderful! :)