9/18/07

decisions, decisions

there is a long list of courses to go through, and for the first time, i cannot make up on my mind on what i want to study most. wait, allow me to elaborate on the 'first time-ness' of this experience.

in elementary, primary, middle, and (most of) high school - all i wanted to do was play. classes came second to everything at all times, much to the exasperation of my mother. the things we studied in school were almost a nuisance - stuff i had to quickly get out of the way to do the more deserving things in life. and no one ever asked me if there was a course i wanted to take.

in grades 11 & 12, i finally had a choice in the matter. extensive indian conditioning determined my course list though. nope, i didn't complain. i was enough of a nerd. as an undergrad in a school known for its wide array of majors (one could major in voodoo if one wanted), i had to stay focused to pursue my 3 majors (eventually settling for 2). the only kind of courses i took were the courses i had to take. in stanford, nothing changed. there was only one specialization for me. a smooth process of elimination decided the rest.

now is different. an ocean of knowledge out there waits for me to drink it all in. can you imagine the excitement? can you imagine the daunting task at hand? not that this brings me to better my habits. i procrastinate as usual, but importantly - with heightened enthusiasm.

No comments: