10/5/06

on bad habits

i realize (at this present moment) that the single bad habit i would absolutely like to do away with in my life (note: the one i'd like to do away with the most, i do not claim to have only one in general) is that of allowing food to go waste.

when i got back from the bead shop today, i was absolutely starving. hunger was driving me insane, and i had the most blinding of headaches. the first bite of food was utterly blissful (and god bless the soul who offered it to me), especially because i had the feeling that my teeth had forgotten how to chew. no kidding.

but i had only been foodless a few hours. and i did have a sumptuous meal to look forward to. (we know where this is going - ) what about those who are not so lucky?! to think that i can waste food with such ease when i choose to, while there are millions out there dying in worse ways than i was (dare i even mention their plight and my temporary condition in the same breath) daily.

it all seems very very wrong right now.

as i go to bed now, i shall pray for the strength to carry myself through this resolve. well, at the very least, do it some shred of justice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to read this. I remember you mentioning this too. :)

I hope more and more people realize this, and in general try to apply this to many more things - like food/electricity/fuel/paper/water ...etc etc! :)

We could also start by checking/informing people around us - not to waste, at the least!

8&20 said...

hey nishant, i guess the best place to start, always, is with oneself. the biggest hurdle to get over is always the thinking that an individual cannot hope to bring about a larger-scale change.