6/30/09

The sounds of silence

Strange - I've known (and sung) this song forever, but only today am I able to appreciate the choice of lyrics. What are the sounds of silence? Is there a conflict even? I leave that for you to think about, I'm already (at least) a month into these questions :).

There is never complete silence, is there? Even when I believe I'm successfully silent, as right now, I hear my fingers moving across the keyboard, I hear the rustle of the leaves outside my window, and the tender morning chirps of a host of birds. A TV is on somewhere in the distance, and a man calls out - in a loud voice - to a squad he is training. When I concentrate harder still, I hear a tension in the clouds that will perhaps end in rain, perhaps not. And then there is the unmistakable music of the horn of the auto rickshaw (or is it a tempo?). And now a dog barks in the distance; now there are several. An airplane... These are the many sounds of silence in this moment. When these are gone, there will be others. So when is the sound of one hand to be heard? That, I suppose, is the question.

Well, the month is over, and I am back on the blog. I must confess I feel none of the comfort and free flow in writing this post as was customary a month ago :). In time, I hope, the ease will return. Happy July, everyone!

1 comment:

Adu said...

yayyyyy :) welcome back :)