6/2/08

An Odissi Odyssey


Yesterday, I was at the Asian Arts Museum on my first formal photography assignment... mmm, yeah I guess you could call it that. A friend of a friend was performing, wanted some pictures, friend was not available, therefore they called me. And I'm so grateful that they did. Classical dancers are so very graceful, and make such delightful subjects.

I am glad to have "broken in", and am already ready for my next assignment. The post-process, however, of going through hundreds of pictures to find the ones worth anything, is terribly painful and entirely avoidable. Yet, there's no real way to do this without one's own effort, is there? Just as one must take the photos, one must do the editing - get rid of crap, keep the good stuff, make necessary edits, none where none are required, etc. etc. My mind was focused on this process for 24 hours. At the end of it though, I have to say, it was still worth it.

G'night!

4 comments:

~nm said...

Wow! This is so beautiful!!

I'm sure it must have been fun doing this job!! Although I can understand you being a bit nervous initially but after starting all nervousness would have vanished into thin air!

Hoping to see some more shots from the job!!

Ludwig said...

A very nice photo. Even nicer post title! :)

Shruthi said...

What a beautiful picture! Will we get to see more on smugmug?

8&20 said...

nm - thank you! it was a ton of fun. there are more photos at http://freefalling.smugmug.com actually (perhaps too many even!).

ludwig - as i said, great minds think alike :). i couldn't resist the pun!

shruthi - there are indeed photos on smugmug :). i haven't been great about putting up pictures, but this needed to be done for sake of the dancers :).